Sunday, February 12, 2017

Review: The Bartender by Piper Rayne

Title: The Bartender
Author: Piper Rayne
Genre/Age: Contemporary Romance/Adult
Series: Modern Love Series (Book One)
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisWho knew sleeping with the enemy could be this fun?

Was the one night stand a good idea?

Well, no. Probably not in retrospect.

In my defense I had just moved back into my grandparent’s house, I’d lost my dream job, and a guy on Tinder had stood me up. It was like life had suddenly stamped ‘LOSER’ on my forehead.

So when the guy behind the bar started giving me THE look…you know, the one that promised I’d be screaming his name into the wee hours of the morning? When that guy also has the perfect amount of scruff on his chiseled chin, biceps bulging out of his t-shirt, and a cocky grin you knew he’d earned in the sack…when he gives you that look, you don’t bother to figure out what your six degrees of separation are. You jump on that horse and ride it!

Pun fully and completely intended. And accurate by the way.

I fully admit to feeling sorry for myself and acting impulsively, but by the time I’d figured out WHO the bartender was, I was already falling for him.


When you fall in love with the one person you are supposed to hate.

Related image

Whitney has found herself unemployed and moving back into her grandparents' house. This means she can reunite with her two childhood friends, but getting back onto her feet is harder than she thought it would be. But when a night of too much alcohol leaves Whit with fuzzy memories of a hot bartender, she is determined to never make that mistake, again.

Cole was enchanted by Whit from the moment he met her in the bar. He felt an attraction to her and even after she flees from him, he still wants to see if there is something between them. To his surprise, he comes across the elusive woman, again. But for some reason, she's aloof and attempts to avoid him for reasons he doesn't understand.

When Whit realizes who Cole really is, she's stunned. He's responsible for a hauntingly painful memory of her past and he has no idea. So when the two are paired to help their friend plan a wedding, Whit struggles stop her heart from falling for the man that Cole has become.

This was a really entertaining read. There was a lot of humor and I loved Whit's interactions with her friend, Lennox, especially. The friendships were adorable and the story was fast paced enough that I didn't want to put the book down.

The romance between our couple was hot and cold, creating a lot of tension as the story went on. Cole's character really impressed me. Even when Whit was doing her best to avoid him, Cole knew who he wanted and was willing to put in the work to win her over. I really enjoyed their bantering and the love scenes were hot, hot, hot.

In closing...
I'm looking forward to the next installment and seeing our newly brokenhearted gal find a way to piece herself together. For this book, four suns!

No comments:

Post a Comment