Sunday, July 24, 2016

Review: Forbidden Heat by J.L. White

Title: Forbidden Heat
Author: J.L. White
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: Fireworks Girls Series (Book One)
Publisher: Velvet Pen Books
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisDon’t Pet the Teacher

They call us the Firework Girls.

I’m Isabella. My comfort zone consists of a bank of test tubes and a Bunsen burner. But having to take a philosophy class to graduate from college—well, that’s causing a different kind of burn altogether. I mean, the hottest professor at Hartman is looking right at me.

Can you blame me for looking back?



Forbidden Heat was a KindleUnlimited book that I picked up on a whim. But I'm glad I did! While the story wasn't a perfect read for me, it was enjoyable and enticed me to read the rest of the series.

As you have probably already gathered, this is a forbidden romance type of book. My favorite, right? This one is teacher/student and entirely age appropriate, which is important to me. In this book, we have a bright student who is studying in the field of science in hopes of working with diseases in the future. Isabella realizes she needs to take a missed humanities course to complete her degree and winds up in the class of our professor, Shane Brooks.

From the very first day of class, it's obvious that Isabella is physically drawn to Shane. As the story progresses, her fascination becomes a full-on lustful obsession as the glances between the two begin to happen more often and last longer. Isabella finds herself avoiding other men and actively seeking out alone time with Shane. She is crushing in a dangerous way.


Her feelings are reciprocated. And it doesn't take long before the line between student and teacher is crossed, leading to some very steamy and scandalous scenes. In public, no less!


Even though the story is told in first person (Isabella's) POV, we get to see Shane's hesitation then acceptance of his attraction as the story progresses. This is a time where dual-POV would have been better, however. It is hard to gauge Shane's feelings without a look inside his head. With this POV, it is very important to have more dialogue between the characters in order to get a sense of who they are. In the end, I feel that we get to know Sam, Jack, etc. a bit more than Shane. And while the sex scenes were entertaining, I am hopeful that the next book(s) will have a better balance of steam and typical interaction.

In closing...
While it wasn't perfect, Forbidden Heat was still a really entertaining read and I am excited to continue the series! 3.5 suns!

No comments:

Post a Comment