Monday, July 25, 2016

Review: Midnight Heat by J.L. White

Title: Midnight Heat
Author: J.L. White
Genre/Age: Romance
Series: Fireworks Girls Series (Book Two)
Publisher: Velvet Pen Books
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisLetting him go was a mistake.

Watching him with her is a disaster.


They call us the Firework Girls.

I’m Chloe. It’s bad enough to be left practically at the altar, even worse to rebound with a perfect guy at the wrong time. But seeing your soul mate hook up with one of your best friends? There’s only one word for that:

Hell.



All I can say is...


This was such a different story than I was expecting--and in a great way! After finishing Forbidden Heat, I started this book right away. I was a bit confused, at first, wondering why the story kept bouncing around between the past and present, but then it made sense. We were getting a look into how the 'Night of Grayson' came to be and why it affected the story.

We follow Chloe in this book. Recently dumped by her scum ex-fiance, Chloe is struggling to find her identity as anything other than just Brad's girlfriend. She does her best to hold her life together. On the day that would have been her wedding day, Chloe's friends take her out on the town to celebrate her wedding freedom from Brad.

It's during that night out that Chloe meets Grayson. One thing leads to another and Chloe finds herself in Grayson's arms. A long night of passion and conversation are food for her soul with the dreamy and thoughtful Grayson becoming the cure that she's been desperately searching for. But, just leaving a long relationship and the intensity of the current situation cause Chloe to panic and flee.

Fast forward nine months and our two meet again, under much different circumstances. Grayson, still sore from being left alone, has tagged along to a wedding, completely unaware that the girl he is currently dating is a close friend of Chloe's. And despite their best effort, neither Grayson or Chloe handle the situation very well. Hurt feelings and awkward tension are aplenty.


I was an emotional wreck during this story. What I thought I was missing from the first book, a deeper connection to the man, I certainly found in this book. I pined for Grayson right along with Chloe and rejoiced in their happier moments, as well.

My only critique for this book is the overabundance of sexual scenes. If a few of the scenes were shorter, I could see having so many of them. However, every single naughty moment is elongated and I began to skim them. I hate to do that! But the novelty wears off, eventually, so it was inevitable. On the other hand, there was enough of a heartbreaking and moving story to keep me turning the pages. 

In closing...
4.5 suns! I can't read the third book just yet, due to tour obligations. But the next book is definitely on my list. I am really glad I gave this series a try!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment