Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Review: Undertow by Elizabeth O'Roark

Title: Undertow
Author: Elizabeth O'Roark
Genre/Age: Romance/NA
Series: None
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via Goodreads
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisMaura Pierce seems to have everything – a bright future, a trust fund and a boyfriend who can’t wait to settle down. It almost seems like enough until Nate Sullivan comes home. Nate – her childhood best friend, her first love. The boy who left without a trace one night and broke her heart. When their attraction threatens the future she and her parents have so carefully crafted, loyalties will be tested and secrets will be uncovered. Giving in may cost her everything. But how do you resist the only thing you’ve ever really wanted?



I think I've found another favorite author! This is the second book I've read (in the past week or so) by Elizabeth O'Roark. And it was just as fantastic as Waking Olivia!


P.S. What is it with the Elizabeths? Three of my new favorite authors are all named Elizabeth! Go figure...

This second chance love story is actually much deeper than I expected it to be. We are gifted with the opportunity to see the before and after of the situation between Maura and Nate. We, as readers, get to watch the blossoming love between the two, which spans their childhood to adolescence. As teenagers, Nate and Maura grow to become inseparable.

However, fast forwarding to current day, and Maura is alone. We get tiny hints into the mystery of why she and Nate are no longer together. More clues unfold throughout the story, until we're slapped with the truth of the deceitful actions that ripped the couple apart.


I cried. Like... real tears. And let me say that it takes a really shocking moment for me to cry. I usually cry at insanely happy moments, not sad. So my own reaction took me by surprise, too. But there it was. Tears.

I did get a bit frustrated with Maura throughout the story. Her refusal to stand up for herself and simply say, "No," to Ethan, her parents, and friends, was highly annoying. But in the end, Maura wises up and realizes that to be truly happy, she has to take control over her future.

Two other minor things did bother me. One, I was hoping for some sort of remorse or redeeming moment with Jordan. I hope he has received his wake-up call and decided to change his ways. Two, although I didn't want Maura to end up with Ethan, I also didn't love the way that ended, either. I don't think it was necessary to paint him in that light. I would have preferred to imagine him finding his own HEA. Now, I'm not sure that I can.

In closing...
Another fantastic 5-sun story! I already have another one of Elizabeth's books loaded and ready to start reading and I can't wait to see what other stories she graces us with in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment