Saturday, August 20, 2016

Review: The Boy Next Door by Hazel Kelly

Title: The Boy Next Door
Author: Hazel Kelly
Genre/Age: Romance
Series: Soulmates Series (Book Three)
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisHe was the one that got away, and I knew it before I ever broke things off with him. 

I didn’t want to end it, but at the time I believed it was the right thing to do… Because of who he was, who he wanted to become, and because of where I came from. 

I loved him more than I loved anything, but I thought he could do better. 

Even then I knew I’d never be able to replicate the happiness I found with him. 

I tried, of course, but based on my experience, I’ve come to believe there really is one right person for everyone. 

And not only did I let my soulmate get away, I pushed him as far as he would go.

As a result, I was convinced I deserved every second of loneliness the universe handed me.

After all, I’d shunned the greatest gift it could offer anyone: True Love. 

But luckily for me, it turns out the universe is just as stubborn as I am. 

**Author's note: This is a full-length, standalone romance novel with no cliffhanger and no cheating. It is intended for a mature audience. 


I am really liking Hazel Kelly's writing! This was my second book by her this month and I liked it just as much, if not a little more, than the first one. The story flowed easily with the dual POV and I flew through this in nearly one sitting.

How would you feel if you accidentally found a wedding ring hiding in your boyfriend's sock drawer? The boyfriend that you are currently living with? Would you immediately pack a bag and flee the city? Well, that's precisely what Laney did. To make matters worse, this isn't the first engagement that she has dodged...


Connor was just being a friendly neighbor when he dropped off some tomatoes for the lady next door. What he didn't expect to see when the door opened was the girl of his past standing right in front of him. The same girl who broke his heart and left him in shambles when she refused his proposal several years before.

I took to Connor, immediately. His humor was fantastic and he won me over from his first chapter. This was a boy I could have fallen for in real life. He wasn't afraid to take a chance on love and didn't let a painful past prevent him from a possible future with Laney.

Laney irked me, at first, until I realized that her behavior was related to the tremendous amount of guilt she carried over her treatment of Connor. She also struggled due to a troubled childhood which left her with physical and emotional scars. And now, letting her fear control her had caused Laney's life to become stuck in a rut.

The exchanges between Connor and Laney were downright adorable. I smiled over and over again as I read their conversations and watched the love blossom. The romance was scorching and I might have re-read the stairs scene more than once. Alright, three times. 


Yum. 

In closing... 
I had skipped the first book of this series but will definitely read that one, too. And I sincerely hope there will be more books in this series. I am anxious to check out Hazel Kelly's other titles, too! 4.5 suns!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment