Sunday, December 31, 2017

Mini Reviews ~ December 2017

Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination to do a full review for a title. This will typically apply to books that are short stories, part of a mini-series, some novellas, etc. Instead of abandoning these reviews, I will be giving mini reviews. Check them out!


Title: Christmas with the Billionaire
Author: Lila Monroe
Genre/Age: Contemporary Romance/Adult
Series: Lucky in Love (Book Six)
Publisher: Lila Monroe Books
Format: ebook via Author
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: A pleasant surprise!

When an actress ruins her audition by shouting at the director, she never expects to fall head over heels for the man just a short while later. But can she have the man and a career in Broadway at the same time?

To be honest, millionaire/billionaire romances have never been a favorite theme of mine. Probably because they tend to be unrealistic and even over-the-top at times. But I had a feeling if anyone could write a story I would enjoy, Miss Monroe could. And I was right!

This novella was a quick and easy read. One that left me smiling in the end and definitely interested in the upcoming Billionaire Bachelors series. The characters were well-developed, even for a shorter book, and I loved the couple's playful banter. The romance was steamy and our pair had great chemistry. It was a nice evening read.




Title: Their Best Friend's Little Sister
Author: J.L. Beck
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: None
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: Hmm...

I must admit, I have grown to enjoy MFM romances. The dirtier the better and this one certainly seemed to fit that role. However, from the title, I was kind of hoping for something a little different. So maybe it's partially my own fault for reading it even after I discovered it wasn't.

I was wishfully hoping that this was a pair of men who had the hots for their best friend's little sister. And it was, but these were brothers. And twin brothers, at that. I don't mind two friends going after their BFF's sister, but brothers? I'm coming to draw the line there. You're having sex with your own brother every single time you participate in this MFM. And I think that's more on the gross side than the sexy side. I've never really understood the allure of sex with twins, knowing they may be inadvertently touching each other and their juices all mingling and...eww. 

So I will try to steer clear of stories with twins in the future. For this one, I can't say the story was bad. I thought the sex without protection was very immature, but I can't necessarily preach about that either due to my own experiences. But I will just say that while this doesn't have a lot of substance, it's a good and naughty break from reality. 




Title: The Wallflower's Wicked Wager
Author: Collette Cameron
Genre/Age: Historical Romance/Adult
Series: A Waltz With a Rogue Novellas (Book Five)
Publisher: Blue Rose Romance
Format: ebook via TRR
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: Two broken souls mend together...

When Morgan sees a lady fall into a pond, he instinctively jumps in to rescue her. It's just in his nature. And when the woman needs someone to help shield her from the overzealous suitor who is chasing her, well Morgan steps in to be her savior. But when she starts to stir feelings inside him, he's not sure if he can be the knight in shining armor she deserves.

Shona isn't like the other ladies of the ton and she's growing used to the shaming that comes along with it. So when she sees her rescuer is scarred from the horrors of war, she knows they both have experienced the pain of trying to fit in. And she's drawn to the captain like no other man. If only she could convince him that they belong together, despite his reservations.

This was a quick and easy read. I'll be reading two full-length novels by this author in the near future so when I snagged this one up to review, I knew I had to read it first. It gave me a taste of what I can expect from this author's writing and I'm definitely looking forward to checking out more of her work.

Our pair were not what I would consider to be our usual leads. Our hero is missing an eye and his face is disfigured. And the heroine is a full-figured outsider who seems to be as timid as a mouse in the beginning. But when the pair came together, something magical happened that made them both larger than life characters. Their story was simple, yet I was never bored by it. The romance was tame, however, it was incredibly sweet. A good read, overall.




Title: Tempting
Author: Crystal Kaswell
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: Inked Hearts (Book One)
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
ReviewFalling for your little sister's best friend?

Forbidden love? Yes, please. Tattoo artist hero? Heck, yeah. This book checked a lot of the boxes on my favorite book things list. I love the forbidden relationship theme and this one is a best friend's sister - slash - bff's older brother story. Right up my alley.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Brendon was a great character and I really liked reading chapters from his point-of-view. He was charming, sexy, and surprisingly responsible. Kay did act like an eighteen-year-old with her insecurities, but I wouldn't say she was any more immature than most girls her age. And the age difference between the pair didn't faze me a bit. My own parents had more than eight years between them so anyone who says it's 'gross' can suck my big toe. Some women like older men. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the story itself, I think this author's style of writing can take some getting used to. The short, one sentence paragraphs are definitely a style choice and I can't really say that I like or dislike it. I had no trouble reading it, though I was flipping the pages much quicker than I'm used to. That's really the only difference for me.

The romance was on the scorching side and there is a small amount of BDSM. Nothing more than tying down, which even a lot of normal couples experiment with. There is talk of other BDSM elements but none are used. If you're worried about it being too kinky, it really isn't. Unless you consider sex-in-the-kitchen while there are unsuspecting people in the house to be too kinky. I don't. I think it's a whole lot of fun. Looking forward to the next one. Four suns!

No comments:

Post a Comment