Saturday, March 3, 2018

Mini Reviews ~ February 2018

Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination to do a full review for a title. This will typically apply to books that are short stories, part of a mini-series, some novellas, etc. Instead of abandoning these reviews, I will be giving mini reviews. Check them out!


TitleDelighted by the Duke
Author: Amanda Mariel
Genre/Age: Historical Romance/Adult
Series: Fabled Love (Book Four)
Publisher: Brook Ridge Press
Format: ebook via The Romance Reviews
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
ReviewFinding love when you least expect it...

This is a novella-length story about a woman who has been thrust into an undesirable betrothal to pay off her uncle's debt. In a desperate attempt to flee, she finds herself hiding in the carriage of a widowed duke. After she learns that the duke's daughter is in need of a governess, she jumps at the opportunity. But when the threat of her uncle's scheme catches up to her, it may be the duke who saves the day.

The story was short and sweet. I think what I wanted from this novella was just 'more'. More description of the characters and more time to get to know each of them. We barely skim the surface of either of our pair and I still don't have a clear vision of what our hero even looked like since his physical appearance isn't described much at all. Even with the stolen kisses, the couple didn't have enough scenes together for me to really get a sense of their chemistry.

However, despite the things I wanted to see more of, I think what we did get was a pleasant story. It was fast-paced and kept me on my toes the whole time. I liked our hero and heroine and I despised the villains. I rooted for Emma from the start and I felt a pang of sympathy for Aaron from his first chapter. I wanted the two to find their way to each other and not simply because Emma was in need of saving. This could certainly be a more successful story if lengthened and deepened. With such a great plot and good characters, it seems sad to waste such potential. 3.5 suns!



Title: Her Best Friend's Husband
Author: Doris O'Connor
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: None
Publisher: Evernight Publishing
Format: ebook via The Romance Reviews
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: What's a naughty menage between friends?

When Naomi's best friend gets married, she feels like she's losing a piece of her heart along with him. Yet, something strange happens during the reception that leaves her fantasizing about not only her BFF but also his new husband. And when the men return from their honeymoon, they have a plan to turn those dreams into reality.

This was a quick and mostly pleasant read. The first half was full of angst and the second half was dirty fun between the sheets. Naomi and Josh's relationship was cute. I'm not sure I entirely understand the reason he married Dawson instead of Naomi, however. Why it mattered what gender of person Josh married as determining how much money he got from the will was sort of silly.  

I think it was Dawson's character which annoyed me the most, though. He was playing the dominant role a little too well. His attitude was a bit off-putting for me. The love scenes in the second half did help the story pick up pacing and added some needed spice. It wasn't my favorite menage story but still an enjoyable book. Three suns!



Title: Auctioned to the Bad Boy CEO
Author: Doris O'Connor
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: None
Publisher: Evernight Publishing
Format: ebook via 
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: A surprisingly emotional erotica!

When Hannah's name ends up on the auction list at her firm's event, she is mortified. The situation is made even worse after her boss is the one who wins a night with her. And the fun doesn't stop there because their night is interrupted by an event that changes the course of their relationship forever. Soon, the couple's trust in each other is put to the test in a way they never imagined.

This started off a little rough for me because without much backstory, I really didn't understand our heroine's trouble with being auctioned off. The whole thing was actually her idea so the fact that she refused to participate was a little odd. Then when her boss wins the auction, the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. And that's when the naughty time begins. Oh, and it's a whole lot of fun.

But this book also had a big plot twist and deeper storyline, which I definitely didn't see coming. It still has plenty of erotica, but also gains a nice dose of romance. This couple were well-developed and seemed to grow even more throughout the book. I loved watching their attraction to each other turn into something more substantial and seeing the trust develop between them. It's an unconventional way to go about it, but romantic nonetheless. A pleasant surprise! 4 suns!

No comments:

Post a Comment