Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mini Reviews ~ February 2017

Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination to do a full review for a title. This will typically apply to books that are short stories, part of a mini-series, some novellas, etc. Instead of abandoning these reviews, I will be giving mini reviews. Check them out!


Title: The Stepbrother Surprise
Author: Nicole O'Riley
Genre/Age: Romance/Erotica
Series: Forbidden Fantasies Short Story
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
Review: Another stepbrother read but this time featuring an adopted brother that our girl falls for during her teen years. Fast forward to several years later and add a newly broken-heart, but when our couple come together, sparks fly off the digital page. 

This short story was a quick and sexy read. But this one really surprised me by being a lot more romantic than I was expecting. Jackson made me swoon, that's for sure. One thing I did notice is that I never saw our heroine's name in the story. I even skimmed it after reading to see if I could find one. I didn't. That was a bit strange but it didn't take anything away from the story.



Title: Kiss My Crown
Author: Alexis Noelle
Genre/Age: Romantic Comedy/Adult
Series: None
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
Review: This novella was a quick read with plenty of humor and outrageous situations happening to a woman who works as a fairytale princess at an amusement park.

While I found the first part of the book to be hilarious, our princess' constant pessimistic attitude did begin to irk me. This was a novella so I know I would have grown to dislike the main character if it had been a longer book. Thankfully, there are other characters who I did like and that made up for the terrible decisions that the heroine made. In the end, it was an alright read and I will likely read the follow up novellas.



Title: Flirt
Author: Natalie Rios
Genre/Age: Contemporary Romance/Adult
Series: Carlton University Novella
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via Author
Rating: ✺✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: I loved this and want more! Give me more!

When a college girl gives a hook-up app a try and somehow gets matched up with her friend's older brother, things get a little sticky... And naughty. Very, very naughty.

I could read another book starring these two characters and probably still not get enough. I absolutely adored this novella. I loved the characters. I enjoyed the plot. I swooned over the romance and feisty chemistry between our couple. I just really, really, liked this story. Unfortunately, the next one doesn't come out until May. Grrrr... 




Title: Crazy Stupid Love
Author: Melissa Toppen
Genre/Age: Contemporary Romance/Adult
Series: Crazy Stupid Series (Book One)
Publisher: Self-published
Format: Paperback via Romance Reveal Book Box 
Rating: ✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: This book was a fairly good read with several really steamy moments. The characters had their usual problems: a man with commitment issues and a woman who had an ex who neglected her sexual needs.

But there was nothing here that broke the mold or stood out to me in any real way. The couple come together, have a fight followed by the typical period of regret, and come together, again. If anything, I was disappointed in the predictability of the story. Nothing surprised me. So in all, it was a good read but not one I will probably read again. I will likely still give the rest of the series a chance, though, so all is not lost.




Title: His Virgin Babysitter
Author: Lila Younger
Genre/Age: Romance/Adult
Series: None
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: This was a pretty well-rounded read. There was more plot to this one than I am used to seeing in a novella. It had its good points and some I think could be improved on.

Good was the chemistry between our couple. There was a nice amount of passion in the lust-filled relationship. It wasn't just a quick and dirty romp in the hay. It was about a woman who needed a direction in life and a man who needed someone to break him from his workaholic nature. They were good for each other.

On the other hand, I thought the relationship development could have been shown rather than just implied. We know they get to know each other but it's mostly behind the scenes. We see the couple learning how to handle the child but not necessarily how they would handle each other (outside of the bedroom).

I would have rather seen more family scenes than hear about our leading lady's stuck-up mother and her issues with the pairing. Maybe if this had been a full-length novel, I would have expected to see that. But my criticism is minor in the scheme of things. Overall, it was a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment