Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Mini Reviews ~ October 2017

Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination to do a full review for a title. This will typically apply to books that are short stories, part of a mini-series, some novellas, etc. Instead of abandoning these reviews, I will be giving mini reviews. Check them out!


Title: Elphame Realms E-zine: Issue #2
Author: Various
Genre/Age: Paranormal/YA-Adult
Series: Elphame Realms E-zine
Publisher: Elphame Press
Format: ebook via KindleUnlimited
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: Witches, witches everywhere!

This is the second issue of the e-zine and I noticed this one was packed with even more stories than the first. Here we have a nice collection of short stories, several with a witchy theme but all paranormal in some way.

I enjoyed every one of them but I think my favorite was The Apothecary Shoppe. I won't give anything away but I'll say that I thought the ending was a perfect surprise. Gave me a bit of an Edgar Allan Poe moment, I must say.

The rest of the stories are a combination of YA or adult and feature lots of witch characters, some with horror story elements (but nothing too graphic), and even a bit of romance. If you enjoy reading about witches, magic, or just paranormal in general, I recommend it. The poem toward the end was also a nice addition. Great October read!





Title: Cowboy Christmas Blues
Author: Maisey Yates
Genre/Age: Contemporary Romance/Adult
Series: Gold Valley Novellas (Book 0.5)
Publisher: Harlequin
Format: ebook via Publisher
Rating: ✺✺✺
LinksGoodreads
Review: A wandering soul decides to stay.

This novella features a cowboy who has avoided coming home after the death of his sister and a woman who has grown up admiring him. When the pair come together, in an explosive way, they begin to question what the future has in store for them and wonder if they deserve something more than their empty lives.

I hadn't expected to read and review this one but it came at the end of a galley I received for another of this author's books so I kept reading. I'm glad I did because this was a nice and quick read with a lot of steamy bedroom scenes, some decent bickering between our feisty couple, and a few heartfelt moments. I'll definitely continue with this novella series.





Title: Mistletoe Kisses
Author: Various
Genre/Age: Romance/Adult
Series: None
Publisher: Pronoun
Format: ebook via Author
Rating: ✺✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
Review: This is an anthology of romance novellas with a holiday theme. I reviewed Nancy Stopper's One Last Gift, which is the fifth book of the Oak Grove Series. In this story, we have two ex-lovers with a painful past coming together again.

It's always nice to spend some time in Oak Grove, but I was surprised to learn that the next book of the series would be a novella. The other books in the series always involve a deep storyline with character histories in play. I was a little worried that we wouldn't get that from a shorter book, but the author crafted a really great story here.

I love second chance stories and this is definitely one of them. Our pair have a tragic history so there is a good bit of heartbreak here. But there's a lot of hope too and a good dose of steamy romance. I flew through this story in a single sitting and was pleasantly surprised by how attached I became to the characters. We also get to see a few familiar faces, if you've kept up with the series so far. Great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment