Thursday, August 4, 2016

Review: Bossman by Vi Keeland

Title: Bossman
Author: Vi Keeland
Genre/Age: Romance
Series: None
Publisher: Self-published
Format: ebook via Purchase
Rating: ✺✺✺.5
LinksGoodreads
SynopsisThe first time I met Chase Parker, I didn't exactly make a good impression.

I was hiding in the bathroom hallway of a restaurant, leaving a message for my best friend to save me from my awful date.

He overheard and told me I was a bitch, then proceeded to offer me some dating advice.

So I told him to mind his own damn business―his own tall, gorgeous, full-of-himself damn business―and went back to my miserable date.

When he walked by my table, he smirked, and I watched his arrogant, sexy ass walk back to his date. I couldn't help but sneak hidden glances at the condescending jerk on the other side of the room. Of course, he caught me on more than one occasion, and winked.

When the gorgeous stranger and his equally hot date suddenly appeared at our table, I thought he was going to rat me out. But instead, he pretended we knew each other and joined us―telling elaborate, embarrassing stories about our fake childhood.

My date suddenly went from boring to bizarrely exciting.

When it was over and we parted ways, I thought about him more than I would ever admit, even though I knew I'd never see him again. I mean, what were the chances I'd run into him again in a city with eight million people?Then again...

What were the chances a month later he'd wind up being my new sexy boss?


Bossman was already on my TBR list even before the Gotta Have Romance group on Goodreads chose it as one of their August group reads. So I decided to join in on the read, which was my first group read, ever!

This book has an enticing cover and even more intriguing synopsis. I was hyped to read it and it didn't disappoint!

From the first page, we meet our leading lad and lady. Reese is on a terribly boring date and trying desperately to escape from it. Chase overhears her attempts to flee and scolds her. But then he decides to swoop in and save Reese from the dreadful evening. The two part was, never expecting to cross paths, again.

However, they do come across one another and Reese somehow finds herself employed by the one man she would much rather lay with than work for. Yet, she convinces herself that any sort of inappropriate relationship with Chase would be a bad idea. For obvious reasons...

But Chase Parker does not give up so easily. He set his sights on Reese and wasn't shy about letting her know what his intentions were. And, oh boy, is he a straight talker! His dirty mouth even made me blush, at times, which isn't easy to do. The quick-witted and humorous banter between Chase and Reese kept me highly entertained.


You all probably know by now, that I take a liking to the forbidden-type romance books. So this story was right up my book-alley. But this particular book goes about things a bit differently. Since Chase is the bossman, in every sense of the word, he really has no reason to care about punishment for fraternization. That isn't what holds them back. It's Reese's fierce work ambition and determination to succeed at her job that sway her to keep Chase's advances at bay. This was a refreshing change to the usual hide-our-relationship-for-fear-of-getting-fired trope that is most common.

All is not smooth sailing, though. Even after our couple come to terms with their attraction, a haunting past that has been lingering comes crashing down around them. I actually found myself frowning during this part of the book. It became a darker story than I was expecting. My emotions went a little coo-koo, trying to hold out hope and not get annoyed with the abrupt change. 


In closing...
In all, this book was one crazy ride! I laughed, a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the plot. There was so much to love about this book! 4.5 suns!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment